Monday, October 4, 2010

Our gay teens are in crisis

This week I have heard about more suicides from young gay people than I have in my entire life. I don't believe the numbers have significantly changed, but I do believe that we are becoming more aware of it through the media.

I also feel that the articles who question if the Internet is dangerous for our kids' self-esteem are missing the point. It is our gay kids who are being targeted. This is, as Ellen DeGeneres points out, a crisis. There needs to be culture-specific research on suicide prevention with young gay people. Our teens need to be aware of resources they have to turn to - Hotlines, shelters, counseling centers.

I feel as if I cannot allow myself to think about all the hatred in the world that these kids endured to resort to taking their own lives. If I do, I'm afraid it will consume me with anger and sadness. And frustration, because I feel there's nothing I can do to CHANGE it. But one thing's for sure: antigay bullying in schools has to stop. Authority figures must let their students know that it is NOT okay, and to give these kids recourse before it's too late. Unfortunately, teachers, principles and school boards are sometimes themselves complicit in the homophobia that plagues their students.

This unfortunate situation is why I would like to work with LGBT youth in the future. I have worked with violence against women for a long time, but there is a whole other type of violence going on against LGBT teens. Let's bring attention to it in our own community and reach out to these kids to let them know they have resources and support; maybe we can save one more life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment