Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Shout-Out

It's been a good semester, tough but good. I've had some amazing professors over the years, especially in the Women's Studies department. I'm fascinated by powerful women in academia - their personalities, their mannerisms, and their relationships with their students. I've noticed that a lot of my female professors are brilliant but tend to be guarded, maybe because of "show-no-weakness" philosophy that male professors just don't really have to contend with. This can come off to a lot of people as being pedantic or stuck-up. But I've never found that with any of my mentors, they are all incredibly brilliant, fascinating women, and I feel privileged to have gotten to know them. I really admire and have the best relationships with professors who challenge me, who demand excellence from me but are willing to help me get there, especially with my writing. I remember particularly one of my undergraduate English professors tore my first paper apart (which made me cry) but then sat down with me and really worked with me on recognizing my strengths and how to improve. She essentially picked me up and threw me out into the deep end of the water, but knowing that I could swim ultimately. I am a better writer because of her.

Therefore, I'd like to thank all of these women who have had such a tremendous impact on me, who have made me a better student, a better feminist, and a better person: Sheila Garos, Tricia Earl, Marjean Purinton, Lynn Fallwell, Esther Lichti, Laura Calkins, and Kanika Batra. I can't thank you all enough for all you've done for me, you have been my mentors and I have loved getting to know you. You've made my university career the amazing experience it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment