Thursday, January 21, 2010

What is the more important issue?

When we set up table at the Organization fair last Friday, an awkward new grad student was the first guy to come up to us. He asked interestedly what V-day was about, and I gave him the generic responses, thinking that he'd nod and then move along. Then he stopped when he saw the V-day platform which states "Rape, incest, sexual slavery and genital mutilation must stop." He pointed at it and said, "Where does male circumcision fall into that?"

His question threw me off guard, and I had to think about it for a second. I guess he thought I was avoiding the question because he leaned in, scrutinizing my expression. I tentatively answered with "Well, it's a very controversial issue. I have my own views about it, but some may equate it female genital mutilation in the East." I explained to him that V-day mainly refers to female genital mutilation in parts of Africa and the Middle East, in which girls are horrendously mutilated by having their clitoris cut off or their vagina sewed up until marriage. The guy said he understood but that "male circumcision can fall into that too. Some of us are absolutely traumatized by the experience." 

This was the main path that our conversation took. And to be honest, it kind of irritated me. I'm not saying that issues such as male circumcision are not important to talk about. But when we are trying to talk openly to people about women's issues, sometimes they have a way of immediately transmuting it into a man's issue. On the other hand, my Transnational Feminisms professor pointed out to me when I related this story to her that Western feminists sometimes have a way of objectifying the East as backwards, misogynist, and savage. Not that female genital mutilation isn't all of those things, but this guy was actually pointing out that the West in some ways is no better than the East - we have our own forms of mutilation here, except that they are performed by a doctor instead of a midwife with a shard of glass. Personally, though, I like that I can live in this country not living in fear that I'm going to have my clit hacked off.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

  • Book reading: The Hunger Games. OMG, yay for young adult post-apocalyptic literature. And a heroine in the lead, no less!
  • Music listening to: Dar Williams, various albums. I'm trying so hard to get into her, but compared to Ani, most folk singers seem downright docile.
  • Last movie watched: The Duchess. Damn good movie. Tiny lesbian(ish) scene between Kiera Knightly and Lady Bess, yum. Ralph Fiennes is brilliant as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment