Friday, January 8, 2010

Coming Up

I like that the Women's Studies/GLBT studies section of Barnes and Noble is way in the back corner...it means that only the people who care go back there. It is my safe haven. Sometimes I just like to go and sit in that corner and soak up the feminist spirit, as if all the feminists and queer activists of the past are whispering encouragement in my ear.

V-day is starting up again. I haven't done a damn thing, or at least feel like I haven't. I know it will happen one way or the other. I feel so ambivalent about V-day now: trying to get it together is so stressful that I wonder if I want to do it anymore, but like my V-day goddess Georgia says, I cannot bear to hand it over to anyone else at the moment. Are you out there, my beautiful V-warriors? We need your help now. Seriously, just email me.

Meanwhile, I'm doing my own little personal research project on bisexuality and the main differences between gay&lesbian and bisexual experience. The best book I've come across so far is "Look Both Ways: Bisexual Politics" by Jennifer Baumgardner, the author of the wonderful Manifesta. It's got a broad perspective but is still achingly personal about Baumgardner's relationships with men and women. Sometimes it stumbles into the pitfalls of "why sex with women is better than with men," but for the most part it is pretty balanced.  I'll let you know when I find out more.

  • Listening to: The Science of Things by Bush. Like it okay, so far. Moody but attractively understated.
  • Most recent movie watched: Across the Universe. Oh my, it's beautiful. I get something different out of it everytime I watch it, whether it's issues about war&violence, gender&sexuality, race, class or anything. Julie Taymor is a genius.
  • Reading: The Heart of Yoga, and The Mummy by Anne Rice.

3 comments:

  1. We are out there and you are doing amazing things!

    I have two groups of people that you could possibly reach out to that might be interested in helping.

    One is Tech Young Progressives. They are a new student organization that is interested in:
    1. Economic improvement and better worker's rights.
    2. Civil liberties, gender equality, and human rights. A celebration and commitment to diversity.
    3. A more peaceful and prosperous world.
    4. Stronger education and better health care.
    5. Renewed and protected environment.

    Their president is Jack Mcclaskey, here's his e-mail: jack.mcclaskey@ttu.edu

    Also, I think that you guys worked with Student Counseling Center last semester, but maybe it would be cool if you could work with the sexual assault survivors group they do? I'm not sure who to contact...but the counselor I've had the most experience working with is Erin Snyder and she is AMAZING. Here's her e-mail: erin.snyder@ttu.edu

    Your Vagina Warriors are out there! They just need to be contacted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I had another idea. Do you have an email handy about the vagina monologues that I could forward to the seva members to see if anyone would be interested in helping out? If so, please e-mail it to laurazak@liveseva.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also! This is from Terri:

    Seva is still very interested and we love you guys and you do really awesome things and we want to help you make V-day a success

    ReplyDelete