Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Women Just Aren't Funny?

This morning I was listening to the Bobby Bones show on KissFM, and they were playing clips from Kathy Griffin's new special "Balls of Steel." Now, I am just about the biggest Kathy Griffin fan ever. Her gays probably have me beat, but I'm pretty up there. I personally love her vagina jokes and I think she has broken new ground for women in comedy.

So I was thrilled to hear these new clips being played on the radio. But Bobby Bones kept interrupting the clips with negative comments like "I don't see how that's funny" or "I can't believe this woman makes millions of dollars." So as if I'm not pissed off enough that he's tearing down my favorite comedian, but then he starts in on, "Well, that's why there's so many more male comedians than women comedians, women just aren't funny." When the female DJ half-heartedly protested that some women are funny (which I thought was a pathetic attempt at arguing with him) he said, "Well I just don't know a lot of women who can pull off a joke right." Of course, it couldn't possibly be that there are a lot of hilarious women out there who just aren't being publicized because of discrimination in the entertainment industry - oh no, that's not it. Women just aren't funny. You know, I was just saying in my Feminist Thought and Theory class yesterday about how things are getting better and there are alternatives to sexist media out there - and then something like this happens. To the ladies in my class, I respectfully place my foot in my mouth.

Kathy Griffin has a very distinct cadence to her comedy - she doesn't conform to the standard "set-up, punchline, set-up, punchline" method, which can get really tiresome. She's funny because she tells the truth about how dumb and superficial some celebrities are. And a lot of people don't like that she tells the truth and doesn't give a shit what they think. Bottom line is, Bobby Bones is a sexist tard who wouldn't know comedy if it shot him in the ass. Needless to say, I won't be listening to 102.5 in the morning anymore, and he's gonna get a nice email from me.

And Kathy, if you're out there somewhere and you read this, just know that you have my support no matter what people say about you. I think you're hilarious and I love what you're doing for women in comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment