Sunday, November 8, 2009

Is it worth it?

Six people showed up to the film viewing. SIX, after 20 or so said they were coming. Besides the executive board, two people came to the last planning meeting. After countless Facebook invitations, reminder emails, and TechAnnounce. After an announcement stating that the film viewing event was required for prospective actresses, because we need actresses who are also truly dedicated to working for V-day. I heard that the six people who came and participated were wonderful and enthusiastic about the V-Day cause. For that I would like to thank them deeply and I look forward to working with them.

As for the others who are absent, what am I doing wrong? Am I not being personal enough, sending out these mass emails? Am I not making it clear that these events should be a requirement for those who want to volunteer or act in the Vagina Monologues? I don't want to step on anyone's toes, or seem like the disciplinarian hardass I can truly be sometimes, because what does that accomplish? I care about this cause so much, and I truly believe in it. But I am also getting incredibly frustrated, as I know my V-day sisters must be. I wish people would understand how much we really need them - I was hoping that I related that clearly enough time and time again when we first began contacting people. The executive board, the three of us cannot do it alone. Without your help, V-Day will not happen. The victims of violence in Lubbock will not get the aid they need. And after all, that is what I'm truly in it for. For them.

So please, someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, whether in my organization, my people skills, or something. I'm feeling very lost and that my efforts are futile.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if this is my place to say anything or comment back, but I know exactly exactly how you feel.
    And I don't think you are doing anything wrong.
    I'm on the V-day mailing list, and I think your e-mails are very encouraging and to the point, which is what they need to be.
    So I don't think it's you. I think it's tech. The majority of students at tech honestly don't care about social justice issues. This isn't a bad thing, it's just the reality of the university we are attending.
    So, take the students that came. Take them and encourage them. Include them in whatever ways you can.
    I'm come to understand that the majority of social justice groups only have 3-6 dedicated members in them. But think of all of the amazing work you have done with so few people! It's astounding!
    Other than that I would advice you, if you haven't already, to talk to other social justice/feminist groups on campus (maybe in the lubbock community) and keep them close. Maybe not ask them to join your organization, but count them as an ally.
    If you or The Lubbock V-day Coalition ever need anything, you know that Seva has your back.
    And your efforts are not futile. V-day is an amazing organization that is truly bringing good things to our world. So I feel it is worth it. Speaking from experience, just being in the Vagina Monologues production last year has helped me tremendously. This probably sounds cliched, but I honestly had never said "vagina" before, and now I can.
    And if your organization can help just one person be more comfortable with themselves, then that is worth it.
    Sorry for the ramble. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate and support what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I appreciate your support so much, and your words are incredibly encouraging. I know you've had our back for quite awhile now :)

    You're right, we don't need a ton of people to get this done, but we can appreciate and encourage the people who do participate. Thanks so much for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem! I like blogs so much, and am glad to see you blogging.

    ReplyDelete