Monday, October 26, 2009

Anything personal is too personal...

I realize that with this blog I've relied on news headlines, media, pop culture to define my feminism. External things that anger me or that I find interesting. But so far on this blog, nothing about my feminism has come from within. I hide behind things going on in the world, point at them and say, "That's feminism." Knowing this is a deficit in my writing, I've struggled to sit down and find something personal to say...

And anything personal I come up with, I've said to myself, "Oh no, don't go there, people might actually read this." What would it mean to speak with the outside world about being a feminist with depression, a survivor of abuse, or a girl whose heart has been broken?

On the other side of that, what would it mean to talk about positive things my feminism has done for me--my fervent activism, my sexuality, or my "fuck 'em all" attitude in a conservative town? I mean, my mother reads this, for Christ's sake.

The point of this blog is to find my voice and live it - not to point at Shelby Knox or Gloria Steinem and say, "That is what true feminism is," (even though that's true), but to put myself on the spot and say, "I am feminism and here's why." I'm struggling with that still.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good step in the right direction I would say! I worry about that, too, someone reading what I have to say. Well, amazing strides are often made when we struggle...

    ReplyDelete